Start a conversation

My group is a 501(c)(3). What kind of electoral work can we do?

A group will be considered a 501(c)(3) if they have sought tax-exempt status as a nonprofit charitable organization under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. More on that here

Unlike 501(c)(4)s, 501(c)(3)s can't engage in any partisan political activity -- i.e., activity that supports or opposes specific candidates for public office. 

501(c)(3)s can engage in nonpartisan work around elections, including: voter registration, voter education, and issue advocacy, including hosting nonpartisan candidate debates.

Note: because 501(c)(3) status significantly restricts a group's ability to engage in electoral work, we do not recommend that Indivisible groups seek 501(c)(3) status.

Choose files or drag and drop files
Was this article helpful?
  1. Sarah Stovall

  2. Posted